Skip to main content

Samarco Iron Ore delayed until 2017, report says.

Samarco Iron Ore delayed until 201, report says.

The restarting of the Samarco iron ore operation in Brazil, which earlier this week had seen Vale and BHP have a $5.3billion civil lawsuit dismissed, has been delayed until next year.

Reuters reported that Samarco’s head of human resources Benedito Waldson said on Wednesday that the operating company no longer expected to resume mining operations this year, with no clear understanding as to when the necessary clearances and approvals would be received.

 

Read: BHP and Vale $5.7billion lawsuit for Samarco dam dismissed, report says.

 

Samarco is also expected to lay off more than 1000 workers from the 3000-strong workforce.

Follow @MiningGlobal

Read the June 2016 issue of Mining Global magazine 

Facebook Conversations